Monday, August 12, 2013

How to Cast a Circle, for beginners new to the Craft


In modern Paganism and Wicca Religions, one of the traditions is the use of a circle as a sacred space. While other religions rely on the use of a building such as a church or temple to hold worship, Wiccans and Pagans can cast a circle pretty much any place they choose.

Bear in mind that not every Pagan tradition casts a circle
and many Do it Differently This Casting Circle can be modified to suit your needs.

This one is good for beginners new to the Craft

I am a Solitary Pagan Witch ( this means I have no coven and I do my Rituals and Spells with only myself and Vadora )

Casting a Circle is for protection purposes
so while you are Astral traveling or communicating with the Astral plane nothing follows you back or unwanted energy enters your space

Before casting a circle gather all your ingredients for the spell and tools and place them in your center I would normally set up my altar at this time. Double check that you have everything that you require incense, the Athamé, a dish of salt, a goblet of water or wine, small cakes or cookies for "cakes and ale," a goblet of wine, an offering dish and any items for work to be done within the cast circle.

In a Jar mix 2 cups Salt 2 Tsp Rosemary and 1 tsp Sage

there are 2 methods you can sprinkle the salt around your area in a circle or keep the salt mixture in a jar in the center this is to keep unwanted energy away and out of your Circle

Place white or colored candles at the compass points, the altar may be at the center of the circle

Take a short moment, eyes closed, to become "At peace" before standing before the altar. Light the small candle and walk toward the east. Light the yellow or white candle from the small candle, saying

" Here I call forth the powers of air from the east, that I may be like the air, unfettered and pure."

Take a moment to remember the air visualization, and to contemplate the meaning of the east, air and freedom before continuing onward.

Light the red or white candle to the south with the small candle saying.

"Here I call forth the powers of fire from the south, that I may be like fire, enduring all hardships to become strengthened."

Recall your own "trials by fire" and contemplate the possibility of more, the meaning of the words spoken is thought on, and the caster continues.

Light the blue or white candle to the west, saying,

"Here I call forth the powers of water, that I may be like water, supporting and protecting all that I encounter,"

Contemplate the water visualization and the meaning of the west in your life.

Move on to the North, lighting the green or white candle, saying

"Here I call forth the power of Earth, that I may be like earth, grounded at all times."

Here ground and think before moving to the east to say.

"Welcome Air, Fire, Water, Earth, shine your light and lend your strength to this my circle to night/day."

Still moving clockwise, return to the altar, and light the incense saying.

"Negative forces begone, you are not welcome here."

Breathe deeply of the incense and banish away negative forces within before circling clockwise thrice with the censer, visualizing hate, jealousy and the like fleeing from the smoke.

Returns to the altar, pick up the Athame and pick up a measure of salt with its tip. Inserting the tip of the blade into the water saying.

"As man to woman so blade to chalice, I purify this water with love, light and power. "

Walk around the circle, sprinkling the salted water about the circle thrice. Returning to the altar, raise the Athamé to the sky and visualize a beam of blue light filling it, walk once around the circle, using the Athamé and its light to "cut" a space between the worlds.

This done, move to the altar and light the two candles.

"Lord and Lady, I invite you to this my worship, that you may look upon my devotions and celebrations and be heartened and strengthened by them."

Turn toward the west and announce.

"Now is my circle cast, unbreakable and without harm. Thus is sacred space decreed, and no act goes unnoticed. So mote it be."

Closing the circle: Thank the Gods for their attentions, snuff their candles. Dismiss individually each element and thank it for lending its strength, Walk around the circle, drawing the blue light back into the Athamé, breathe deep, and take some of the power back. A closing statement usually follows, ending in,

"The Circle is open, but ever unbroken...So mote it be."


How to Cast a Circle     Method 2

In modern Paganism, Wicca Religions , one of the traditions is the use of a circle as a sacred space. While other religions rely on the use of a building such as a church or temple to hold worship, Wiccans and Pagans can cast a circle pretty much any place they choose.

Bear in mind that not every Pagan tradition casts a circle
and many Do it Differently This Casting Circle can be modified to suit your needs.

This one is good for beginners new to the Craft

I am a Solitary Pagan Witch ( this means I have no coven and I do my Rituals and Spells with only myself and Vadora )

Casting a Circle is for protection purposes
so while you are Astral traveling or communicating with the Astral plane nothing follows you back or unwanted energy enters your space

Before casting a circle gather all your ingredients for the spell and tools and place them in your center I would normally set up my altar at this time. Double check that you have everything that you require incense, the Athamé, a dish of salt, a goblet of water or wine, small cakes or cookies for "cakes and ale," a goblet of wine, an offering dish and any items for work to be done within the cast circle.

Before you begin take a shower or bath so you are clean
and wear comfortable clothes or you can be skyclad your choice

Simply Set your Candles up on your Altar or sacred circle

Light Your candles Starting North then East then West then South
if you have Crystals place them by the candle

now light your incense

Say your God/ Goddess Name
Invoke the elements and spirits and deities you wish to work with. Call them to the objects that represent them. ask them to protect your circle

Do whatever it is you want to do in your circle. Ritual, spell, meditate, astral traveling etc
give Your Deity/ Spirits you are working with an offering
Bread or honey cake Beer etc
Offer it to them place it on your Altar

when you are done take the food offering and consume it
your Deity will consume it through you

Close the circle when you're done: pay respect to whatever deities you invited, thank them and blow out the candles

This is a VERY FAST AND EASY Casting Circle

you can modify this for groups




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.